With spring and summer fast approaching, I thought now is a good time to start thinking about bicycle safety and offer up some of the pro’s best tips!
Bike riding is lots of fun, but accidents unfortunately happen. The safest way to use your bike is to use it for transportation, not play. According to kidshealth.org, “every year about 300,000 kids go to the emergency department because of bike injuries, and at least 10,000 kids have injuries that require a few days in the hospital. Some of these injuries are so serious that children die, usually from head injuries.”
Here’s another reason why you should always strap on your helmet: in many states it’s the law! The reason being is that many bike injuries involve head injuries, so a crash could mean permanent brain damage or death for someone who does not wear one while riding. To protect yourself and your family from a brain injury, make sure your helmet fits correctly on every ride.
Bicycle helmet use should not be optional for anyone in your family; everyone should have one on each and every time they decide to ride. This will not only protect the brain and head, but the face as well.
Parents and caregivers please read the following rules to ensure proper safety.
- Bike helmets should have a sticker that says it meet standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). If your helmet doesn’t have a CPSC sticker, try to find one that does.
- Wear a bike helmet EVERY TIME YOU RIDE, even if you are going for a short ride.
- It should be worn level and cover your forehead. Don’t tip it back so your forehead is showing. The straps should always be fastened.
- Bike Helmet should not be too big or too small. Never wear a hat under your helmet
- Make sure the straps are adjusted so they’re snug enough that you can’t pull or twist the helmet around on your head.
- Take care of your bike helmet and don’t throw it around.
- Many bike helmets today are lightweight and come in fun, cool colors. If you don’t love yours as it is, personalize it with some of your favorite stickers!
- Reflective stickers are a great choice because they look cool and make you more visible to people driving cars
Bicycle riding is a great way to get exercise, fresh air, and lots of laughs, but there’s an important factor that we all need to consider, and that is safety. Please take the time to share this with your loved ones as we prepare for the warm months.